White Paper Release – World Teacher’s Day – Monday, Mon, Oct 5, at 5:00pm EST
Thanks to the hard work of our authors, as well as myriad comments and feedback from our partners, we at Transforming Teaching are in the final stages of production of our draft White Paper on 12 Design Challenges for Improving Teaching, which we will release on World Teachers’ Day (October 5, 2021) at 5:00pm EST.
As schools, communities, and nations celebrate the importance of teachers in shaping future generations of leaders, workers, and citizens, the Project partners seek to draw attention to the critical importance of recruiting, developing, and supporting teachers to deliver excellence for every student in every U.S. classroom. At a panel event and Q&A at the Harvard Graduate School of Education on Monday, October 5pm at 5pm in Askwith Hall (Longfellow Building), The Transforming Teaching Project will release a thought-provoking white paper that puts a stake in the ground for the development of a coherent system aimed to revolutionize the way teaching is organized, supported, and revered in the United States.
The White Paper draws on interviews with more than 85 education sector leaders, expert teachers, advocates, and doctoral students, and sketches the most significant impediments to transforming teaching as well as the potential solutions. The paper lays out twelve key design challenges that will need to be tackled if we are going to build a system that is able to support teachers in providing consistently a high-quality education to students across the country.
Professor Jal Mehta will make a brief presentation on the findings of the white paper, to be followed by a panel discussion with participation by both live and virtual audience members. Panel members include:
- Jal Mehta, Associate Professor (Moderator), Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Jesse Solomon, Executive Director, Boston Plan for Excellence; Founder, Boston Teacher Residency
- Andres Alonso, Professor of Practice, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Former CEO of Baltimore City Public Schools
- Laura Burgos, Former principal and teacher in New York and Michigan, Doctoral candidate, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Susan Moore Johnson, Jerome T. Murphy Research Professor in Education, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Paul Reville, Francis Keppel Professor of Practice of Educational Policy and Administration, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Former Massachusetts Secretary of Education
Beginning at 5pm EST on October 5, the event will be broadcast live and can be seen at the following url: http://media.video.harvard.edu/core/live/gse-live.html.
It is our hope that on World Teacher’s Day you and your organization will help us spread the White Paper and, more importantly, its ideas widely. By doing so, we start the conversation, begin to overcome barriers to change, and ultimately, turn ideas into action.
If you and/or your organization are interested in learning more or becoming involved in the release of the White Paper, please email Tyler S. Thigpen at email@example.com.